|Photo Credit: Dogtipper.com|
The holidays are a time of celebration and festivities for both us and our dogs. However, it can also be a time that poses many hazards to our dogs. Being aware of these five holiday hazards that are present in most homes may save you a trip to the emergency room for your dog.
1. Food hazards
The holidays are usually filled with lots of tasty treats; however, many holiday treats are really toxic for our dogs.
· Fruit, nuts and chocolate
Raisins and grapes, even in small amounts, can lead to kidney failure in dogs, so be sure to keep a close eye on those fruitcakes and fruit and nut boxes. Many nuts, especially macadamia nuts, contain toxins and may cause pancreatitis. Chocolate contains two components that can’t be processed by dogs, making it especially toxic and possibly even fatal for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to your pet.
While cooked bones may seem like an ideal treat for a dog, they can splinter and cause an obstruction in your dog’s stomach. Fatty meat, such as turkey skin and ham, may cause pancreatitis, which can be fatal.
(If you’re looking to make a special food treat for your dog this Christmas, be sure to check here on December 16 for a special treat recipe.)
While decorative, many holiday plants are poisonous—even deadly—for pets. Some holiday plants to watch out for include these ones:
· Poinsettia, mistletoe and holly
These plants are not only pretty but also pretty dangerous to our pets. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, intense diarrhea, erratic behaviour—and possibly even death. Mistletoe is the most dangerous of the three plants.
3. Christmas trees
Real Christmas trees smell amazing, but there are some hidden hazards here that you might not know of yet.
· Pine and spruce trees
· Decorations (tinsel and ornaments)
Tinsel and other decorations, such as ornaments, are particularly eye-catching to our pets but are also very dangerous. Tinsel can become caught in a dog’s intestinal tract, twisting and bunching in their intestines, which can be fatal. Glass ornaments could potentially cut a dog’s mouth, throat and intestines when swallowed and also present a choking hazard.