Please note that since TAGS is a smaller volunteer program, we are limited to adoptions within the Durham Region area. We encourage those applicants who apply outside of the area to check your local shelters and rescue programs. We are always happy to refer you to a program in your area.
The adoption process for The Animal Guardian Society (TAGS) is a thorough process designed to work with families in choosing a suitable dog to adopt.
The TAGS Adoption Process consists of these steps:
- Step 1 – The Adoption Application: Whether you are interested in a particular animal already in our rescue program or wish to be considered for any animals that may become available in the future, you must complete the online Adoption Application Form in full. The application gives our volunteers an idea of what you have to offer a rescued animal and also helps to determine which animal will be better suited to your home environment. Applicants are requested to FOLLOW UP the online application submission by phone or EMAIL to confirm their interest. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however only those applicants APPROVED by the TAGS Adoption Committee will be contacted.
- Step 2 – The Meet & Greet: Upon approval of your application, a TAGS representative will contact you to arrange a Meet & Greet with one or a number of our adoptable dogs. The Meet & Greets are held at the TAGS Dog Park & Training Centre, by appointment, on Saturdays between 11am and 2pm.
- Step 3 – The Home Visit: The visit consists of a minimum of two trained volunteers bringing the pet to the applicant’s home for a meeting. This gives the applicant an opportunity to see the pet in their home, and to ask further questions. Our volunteers will take this opportunity to get to know your family and your level of experience through a series of questions.
- Step 4 – The Extended Visit: After a Home Visit has been conducted, we encourage the potential adoptive family to take their time and discuss amongst themselves. Remember, adopting an animal is an important and large decision, and all family members should be in complete agreement. Should the family decide to request the Extended Visit, they must contact us with their request. However, please note that a Home Visit does not automatically entitle a family to an Extended Visit. The volunteers conducting the interview must also be comfortable that the match is suitable. Information gathered during the Home Visit is forwarded to the TAGS Adoption Committee for final approval. The potential adopter will be informed if their request is denied and why. Volunteers may also recommend a more suitable dog at their discretion. During the Extended Visit, the dog will come and stay in the applicant’s home for a number of days in order to determine if it is a good fit.
- Step 5 – The Adoption Agreement: If the first three steps have been completed successfully, the final stage of the adoption process is the signing of an adoption agreement by the adopter and a TAGS representative. Only at this stage is ownership of the animal transferred from TAGS to the adopter, and they are free to begin a happy and life-long relationship. This agreement also commits the new owners to attend the mandatory 8 week workshop (dogs only).
The Adoption Fee includes the following benefits:
- Veterinary health checked
- Vaccinations as needed
- Microchip Implant
- Pet health Insurance through OSPCA Pet Insurance “6 WEEK GIFT” ~ please click here for details of policy coverage and terms and conditions
- 8 Week post-adoption follow-up workshop (dogs only). This is mandatory per the adoption contract.
TAGS Adoption Fees
Dogs (0-7 years): $399.00
Dogs (8+ years): $199.50
Cats (0 – 9 years): $150.00
Cats (10+ years): $75
The fee is to be paid at the time of signing the adoption contract.
For more detailed information please contact one of our volunteers.