Please note that since TAGS is a smaller volunteer program, we are limited to adoptions within the Durham Region area.
Many people ask why we limit our adoptions to the Durham Region. There are many reasons for this and we ask that you respect this policy.
We are based in the Enfield area in North Durham. It is at this facility where an adopter will do a meet and greet with our volunteers and the dog they are interested in. It is also at this facility that the dog and supplies will be handed off for an extended visit and paperwork completed. Once an adoption happens, this is where 8 weeks of in-person mandatory behaviour training class will take place.
In non-CoVid times we do in person home visits and we would not ask our small group of volunteers to drive all over southern Ontario to do these.
We believe in being there to support all our TAGS alumni pups for their lifetimes. We will continue to assist you with any training challenges you may have forever. You have use of our HUGE fenced dog park. We are a local non-profit and the majority of dogs can find incredible loving homes right here in Durham Region where we can be there for them if needed.
We encourage those applicants who apply outside of the area to check your local shelters and rescue programs. We are always happy to refer you to a program in your area.
The adoption process for The Animal Guardian Society (TAGS) is a thorough process designed to work with families in choosing a suitable dog to adopt.
The TAGS Adoption Process consists of these steps:
- Step 1 – The Adoption Application: Whether you are interested in a particular animal already in our rescue program or wish to be considered for any animals that may become available in the future, you must complete the online Adoption Application Form in full. The application gives our volunteers an idea of what you have to offer a rescued animal and also helps to determine which animal will be better suited to your home environment. Applicants are requested to FOLLOW UP the online application submission by phone or EMAIL to confirm their interest. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however only those applicants APPROVED by the TAGS Adoption Committee will be contacted.
- Step 2 – The Meet & Greet: Upon approval of your application, a TAGS representative will contact you to arrange a Meet & Greet with one or a number of our adoptable dogs. The Meet & Greets are held at the TAGS Dog Park & Training Centre, by appointment. This meet and greet is used to determine if a dog is the right ‘fit’ for you. During the Covid pandemic, these meets will be held outdoors rain or shine with all public health protocols in place.
Please note that if you have been contacted regarding your application for one of our pets, and you are unavailable for a meet and greet or home visit due to a planned vacation or the like, we are unable to put our process on hold, and will consider other applications. If the pet is still available when you return, we would be more than happy to consider your application then.
- Step 3 – The Home Visit: During the Covid pandemic all home visits will be done virtually. This visit will last approximately 90 minutes and include a trained volunteer and the foster family. Our volunteers will take this opportunity to get to know your family and your level of experience through a series of questions. We will also require a virtual tour of your fence line and other key areas of your home.
- Step 4 – The Extended Visit: After a Home Visit has been conducted, we encourage the potential adoptive family to take their time and discuss amongst themselves. Remember, adopting an animal is an important and large decision, and all family members should be in complete agreement. Should the family decide to request the Extended Visit, they must contact us with their request. However, please note that a Home Visit does not automatically entitle a family to an Extended Visit. The volunteers conducting the interview must also be comfortable that the match is suitable. Information gathered during the Home Visit is forwarded to the TAGS Adoption Committee for final approval. The potential adopter will be informed if their request is denied and why. Volunteers may also recommend a more suitable dog at their discretion. During the Extended Visit, the dog will come and stay in the applicant’s home for a number of days in order to determine if it is a good fit.
- Step 5 – The Adoption Agreement: If the first three steps have been completed successfully, the new owners must attend a mandatory 8 week workshop (dogs only). Once that is completed, the final stage of the adoption process is the signing of an adoption agreement by the adopter and a TAGS representative. Only at this stage is ownership of the animal transferred from TAGS to the adopter, and they are free to begin a happy and life-long relationship.
Due to the rising costs of veterinary care for our animals we will be forced to increase our adoption fee’s effective October 1, 2021. It is very difficult, if not almost impossible, to find Veterinary Clinics willing to work with Rescue. We sincerely appreciate the clinics that do currently work with TAGS and their continued support.
The Adoption Fee for dogs includes the following benefits:
- Veterinary health exam
- Spay/Neuter (done prior to adoption)
- Vaccinations appropriate for age
- Rabies vaccine for all pets 5 months of age and older
- Microchip Implant and registration
- Parasite treatment including De-worming
- 4DX SNAP Screening test
- Nail trim if needed
- 30 days of free Pet Insurance (Note: 24 PetWatch is cancelling this offer effective June 23, 2022)
- 9 Week of behaviour training classes
- 7 day in home trial
Adult dogs over one year: $599.00
The Adoption Fee for cats includes the following benefits:
- Veterinary Health Exam
- Vaccinations appropriate for age
- rabies vaccine for all pets 5 months of age or older
- Parasite treatment including deworming, ear mites (if needed)
- Nail trim (if needed)
- Microchip implant and registration
- Spay/Neuter ( done prior to adoption)
- 30 Days of Free Pet insurance (Note: 24 PetWatch is cancelling this offer effective June 23, 2022)
- 7 Day in Home Trial
The fee is to be paid at the time of signing the adoption contract.
For more detailed information please contact one of our volunteers.