We appreciate that giving up a pet for adoption can be a very difficult and emotional experience. Our volunteers make every effort to ensure that a safe and suitable home is found. Our primary goal is working with families as a “team.” Together we can be confident that your pet will have a long and happy life with his or her new family.
The following information will provide you with knowledge of our adoption procedure, what services TAGS will provide and, in turn, what TAGS will require from you should you decide to enrol your pet with our program. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us anytime at the above phone number or email address.
What TAGS will do for you and your pet
- Review owner profile information.
- Screen all potential adopters, through the application process.
- Take your pet on home visits with potential adopters.
- Ensure all medical work is completed prior to adoption (spay/neuter, etc.)
- Ensure that your pet will be microchipped, in case the pet becomes lost at any time.
- Ensure the completion of all paperwork, including but not limited to adoption agreements.
- Provide behaviour counselling and workshops for adoptive families.
- Provide ongoing support to the new owners as needed for the lifetime of the pet.
Your responsibilities to our program
- Complete the owner information profile, providing facts about your pet to assist in the adoption process.
- Provide a tax-deductible donation to help offset any incurred expense in the adoption process.
- Return phone calls or emails from volunteers promptly and notify the program of any relevant changes to the adoption status of your pet (e.g., deciding to keep your dog).
- Provide a complete medical history. Rabies vaccinations are normally required only once within a three-year period (lmrab 3). If unsure about your vaccination status, have your vet confirm.
- Ensure that all information provided on the info sheet is not false or misleading, which could result in harm to a potential adopter and in the dog being returned to you, the owner. Should this occur, you as the owner will be responsible for any medical costs incurred by The Animal Guardian Society.
Click here for the Owner Surrender Application Form.